Saturday, August 8, 2020

Crafting without electricity

Good afternoon my crafty visitors.  

My apologies for being MIA the last few days.  

On Tuesday morning I stepped off the bottom step into our family room and got a very wet foot.  Here, in southeast Pennsylvania, we caught the back end of Tropical Storm Isaias.  First came the rain, lots of rain!  I spent the next hour or so in the crawl space vacuuming up as much water as possible before any more could seep into the family room carpet.  Finally the rain stopped, then the winds came and the power went.  We were lucky not to lose any trees, but many of our neighbors did.  I've never seen so many huge trees uprooted, and leaning on house roofs, stripping wires as they fell.  Our electricity was restored Thursday night after 52 hours without.  Again, we were lucky because many in the area still are powerless.

What crafty mischief did I get into while we had no power?  I went through my Christmas stash, set aside lots of paper, stamps and accessories to donate to the Lancaster Creative Reuse Store, created a stack of card fronts that I'll finish for Send a Smile 4 Kids and started making my Christmas cards.  

Yesterday was spent trying to return my house to normal.  Collecting refrigerated and frozen items from my mother's house, shopping for things I had to toss out, doing laundry, running the dishwasher, etc.  At one point I just needed to take a breather and relax.  What better way to do that than by stamping an image, getting out the colored pencils, and coloring.  I needed a birthday card anyway!

 

(Stamps were from a Crafters Companion set that came free in one of my magazines.)

Before we head out to my grandson's baseball game, I'd like to enter a few of my favorite challenges:

 Ellibelle's Crafty Wednesday August Challenge - Something beginning with "b" (birds, blue, birthday)

Seize the Birthday August Challenge - Tic, Tac, Toe (top row, middle column)

 Craft Rocket Challenge #73 - Birthday

Aud Sentiments Challenge #257 - AG + a sentiment

Digi Doodle Studio Challenge #30 - Things with Wings

 


10 comments:

  1. So very sorry Debi for this storm event. It truly makes you stop and think of all that is important. Sorry about your loss of electricy and all the cleanup you had to do. Be Blessed my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute card. Colored so nicely too. Sorry to hear about the mess that Isiasis left. We saw a lot of damage on the news. I hope you have flood insurance. That would be a blessing. We live in Florida right on the coast and thought for sure we'd get it and it passed by without a drop of rain. We've really got to get a generator. One day! We have a lot of months left before hurricane season is over. I'm glad you got to do a little bit of crafting. [Bunny]

    ReplyDelete
  3. On no, sounds like you have had quite a week.
    A fabulous card you recreated in you stress relief time
    Claire Mrs H's Crafty Corner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh you've been through a lot havne't you and still managed to craft! Your card is lovely. Hope that rain has stayed away !
    .
    Thank you for entering our Challenge at
    AUD Sentiments
    this week. Looking forward to seeing you again in our next challenge.
    Crafty hugs
    Debbie Maddock – DT AUD Sentiments
    My blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. This card is delightful! I love the sweet bird image and pretty colors. Glad you didn't lose any trees during the storm, but 52 hours without electricity doesn't sound fun. Hope there wasn't too much damage in your area.😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! So sorry that you had to go through that stress! Hope everything got back to normal by now. The pair of birds are so sweet and you've colored the lovely scene so beautifully! Thank you so much for joining us at Seize the Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely card, well done! Thanks for joining us at Craft Rocket Challenges.

    groetjes, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so loving this image and such a pretty card!
    Thanks so much for sharing at my Crafty Wednesday challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card, love the bird house, so sweet! Thank you so much for joining in the Aud Sentiments Challenge, I hope we will see you again next time.
    Jenny (Aud Sentiments DT)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh gosh you had a tough time with the weather but your card is beautiful a ray of sunshine thanks for sharing with us at Digi Doodles studios Things with Wings challenge

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hi.