Sunday, September 28, 2014

Mystery Guest Design Spot

Today I am happily posting a card for a GDS at Crafting By Designs in conjunction with their current challenge theme,  Getting Ready for Christmas.  
They were kind enough to Spotlight one of my cards last month, which is how I got this gig.

There is a story that goes with this post, so please bear with me.  
Doris contacted me about making something for the Crafting By Designs Blog on September 3rd.  Unfortunately, our communications back and forth mysteriously disappeared from my google mail account shortly thereafter.  I knew I had a card to make but, for the life of me, could not remember for whom.  I did, however, remember the date by which it needed to be ready.  Under the circumstances, I thought it would be fitting to use a mystery message card, a card fold I had recently discovered and never made.  And then I hoped that whoever had asked me to make something for Aug. 24th would contact me.  
Thank heavens, Doris followed up on her request and I was all ready with a card.   At least I thought I was.  Next mystery, what happened to the card photos?  I didn't have a draft for the post.  That would have been too simple and efficient.  And I couldn't find any photos in my picture file.  The postman had delivered it to a friend weeks ago, so I couldn't retake them.  Now what?  Then I checked my camera and found the photos still there waiting to be uploaded.  I uploaded them, did a little editing and was ready to send them off. Whew!  
When Doris contacted me, the thread of original emails was restored and I could again view the original email which had disappeared.   Oh no!  I didn't remember there was a theme!  I had a fall birthday card all ready and the challenge theme was Getting Ready for Christmas.  Doris was gracious enough to give me a few days to prepare another project.  So without further ado, a Mystery Message Christmas Card...
Card Front looks like an ordinary Gate Fold
Card Back



Inside of card

So where's the Mystery?
Another card lurks inside containing a mystery message.

And here's the message from The Fat Man himself.



I borrowed a few new CTMH products** from my
 to make this card with the promise that she could have the card for display at our next rapidly approaching 
**CTMH Yuletide Carol Paper Pack (Some of the papers I didn't use for the card itself I used as background for taking the photos.)
**CTMH Stamp Set Merry, Merry Holiday
I also used some old CTMH paper for the Ho Ho Ho, which was cut using the CTMH Artiste Cricut Cartridge. 


Personally, I think this is a really cool card fold.  And it is so easy!  I am definitely making more.  Don't you think it would be a neat Make & Take for the card show?  Would you sit down at a table to discover the mysteries of this card?  Please leave a comment and let me know.  I'd also be interested to know how much you would be willing to pay to make a card like this?


 
I  am entering this card in the following card challenges:
Jingle Bells Challenge - We Three Kings (use 3 different DP)
Dream It Up Challenge - Christmas and the Holidays
Red Rubber Inspirational Challenge #139 - Stay Focused on Stamping
ABC Christmas Challenge - S for Something festive (the wreath)
The Paper Shelter Challenge #175 - Card with many folds
Crafty Sentiments Design Challenge - Christmas in September
Heart 2 Heart Challenge - Favorite Tool (I love the look of ink distressing.  You can see I distressed almost every edge on this card, and there were a lot of them.  So I'd say my favorite tool was the spoinge dauber.)





 Now the only mystery remaining is  (besides what I am making for dinner)  - when will the first mystery message birthday card appear on my blog?
If you aren't one of my 99 followers, I hope you don't miss it.

20 comments:

  1. Good post
    finally, you have prepared the designs they asked for. Now they will be happy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am too happy to be the 100th member joining this blog. Happy blogging

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Debi, your post made me laugh! You are so comical! Glad you finally got your mystery GDT spot sorted out and how fun that you got to make 2 of these awesome mystery cards. Looking forward to the other one!

    You say it's easy so I think a tutorial is in order! I'd love to see how you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debi this card was worth waiting for!! So glad we got it all worked out and you joined us as a Guest Designer at Crafting by Designs today!! Hugs, Doris

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this fold - it makes a fun card to receive. Would love to see a tutorial, as the Convention is just too far away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your story, Debi, and this is such a fabulous mystery card! I love the way it just keeps opening and opening and... Terrific paper choices and sweet wreath image on the front is so Christmas-y. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh this is very clever and thanks for sharing at crafty sentiments

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous card shape,Ive never had a go at that design, love the coloour choice. Thanks for joining us at TPS, good luck with the challenge. hugs Shirleyxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. AWESOME! Congrats on the spot ... your creation is amazing! Well done!
    Thanks so much for joining us at The Sisterhood’s ‘LOTS OF LAYERS’ challenge and please come back again soon!
    Darlene
    one of the 'Sistahs'
    The Sisterhood of Crafters
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my gosh, what an adorable card, and then you open it to reveal the MOST AMAZING engineering i've ever seen! wow! so happy you've come along to play with patterns with us at JINGLE BELLES! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic folded design! Thanks for joining in the Paper Shelter Challenge this time.

    Hugs, Vannessa
    TPS DT

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so clever - very nice card. Love it. I would pay five dollars if you would teach me how to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very lovely and very complicated looking! Thank you for joining us at THE PAPER SHELTER CHALLENGE!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fab card, Debi! Great fold, what a fun surprise it must be to woever opens it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a delightful christmas card. Great details with the fold and non traditonal colours. Thanks for playing at ABC Christmas Challenge and good luck. Hope to see you back wednesday for a new challenge. Bettina DT Member at ABC Christmas Challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty card! Thank you for joining us at the ABC Christmas Challenge.
    Carissa:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a mission to get this card done, but glad you got there in the end as it is a wonderful idea! Thanks for joining us at H2H challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun fold ... so very glad you joined us at Jingle Belles.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, what an impressive design and so beautiful! I love the image on the front. Thanks for sharing your creation with us at Winter Wonderland - good luck!
    Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great job, I love it. You can never go wrong with distressing! Thanks for playing along with H2H!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hi.